Saturday, April 11, 2020

"Stand in front of more interesting stuff"......

I saw the above heading credited to photographer Joe McNally. I don't know if he was the first to say it but I am sure many other photographers have thought the same thing. I look at and study hundreds of photos in a week. I see great photos that are inspiration to me but I also see a lot that have no appeal except perhaps from a technical aspect. I assume the photographer was practicing with a new piece of gear or testing a new technique. In my humble opinion, a photograph must have impact in order to grab the attention of viewers, and impact primarily comes from the content, not the sharpness or fancy lighting. I was reviewing YouTube videos of certain film cameras and noticed vloggers going on photo walks to try out the film cameras and returning with mostly uninteresting shots.

Much as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, art is a matter of taste. But with millions of photos being uploaded to the internet every day, the photographer who expects his photos to be noticed for any reason must insure they have impact and are not be lost in the morass. It is imperative that he or she stands in front of interesting stuff!

Colin Ward Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment